Monday, June 15, 2009

Corniche Scenes

The Corniche is a 10 or 12 lane divided highway that runs along the Mediterranean coast of Alexandria. It's very fast moving traffic, about the same type of road as the Washington beltway, except that all of the city streets turn directly onto it rather than having exits and ramps. It's also open to any pedestrians brave enough to try to make it across. Or to people who want to stroll across 6 lanes of traffic carrying babies and groceries, which I've also seen. Us flagship kids have been warned many times never NEVER NEVER ever to ever cross the Corniche.

I was sitting on the wall last night, on the ocean-side of the Corniche with some friends, when a car slowed down next to the curb, and backed up to right in front of where we were sitting. Oh great, we thought, here come some losers to tell us "welcome to egypt" and ask "boyfriend? boyfriend?" But we were surprised when they didn't bother us at all! We were also surprised when they popped the trunk of their car open, whipped out the biggest prawns I've ever seen, and started merchanting to the passersby. A crowd started gathering over at their trunk, so we went to go check it out. They had huuuuge baskets of freshly caught fish, shrimp, and those giant prawns. Selling seafood out of the trunk of your car...sketchy? Nahhhhh.

Tonight I also saw a guy, balancing (no hands!) a HUGGGE square basket on his head, which was seriously about the size of a refrigerator box. He was doing this while simultaneously riding a bicycle on the Corniche highway. I really wish I had a picture of that one.


No comments:

Post a Comment